Come to the American Institute of Wine & Food’s seventh annual “I Love Crab Cakes!” competition at Phillips Seafood. Chefs will compete by creating their own unique take on crab cakes that guests will be able to sample while drinking carefully selected wines and seasonal beers from Port City Brewing Company.
Participating Chefs Include:
- Will Artley, Pizzeria Orso
- Erik Bruner-Yang, Toki Underground
- Chris Clime, PassionFish
- Eric Frisch, Et Viola
- Thomas Leonard, BlackSalt
- Marjorie Meek-Bradley, Graffiato
- Wes Morton, Art and Soul
- Russell Smith, Wolfgang Puck Catering
900 Water Street Southwest
Monday, October 29, 2012
6:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Tickets are $65 for members and $75 for non-members. They can be purchased via snail mail or email using this form.
Chefs for Equality, an evening filled with food, cocktails, fashion and music, will help raise awareness amongst voters and funds for marriage equality in Maryland. The event is hosted by the Human Rights Campaign, the nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender civil rights organization, and will take place on Wednesday October 24, 2012 at the Ritz-Carlton, Washington D.C.
Special guests include: Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley, Tim Gunn from Project Runway, David Hagedorn from Washington Post, and Christopher Vazquez and Rick Davis of Amaryllis Floral.
Attendees can look forward to tasting plates from 25 participating D.C. restaurants, crafted beverages from mixologists, music from DJ Shea Van Horn and a live auction of wedding fashions from Michael Andrews Bespoke and Carine’s Bridal Atelier.
For guests who are looking for a more intimate dining experience, there are nine Personal Chef tables up for auction. At these tables for eight, award-winning chefs will work in pairs to cook five-course menus. Each table will have a wine pairing.
- Spike Gjerde (Woodberry Kitchen) and Erik Bruner-Yang (Toki Underground)
- Cathal Armstrong (Restaurant Eve) and RJ Cooper (Rogue24)
- Michel Richard (Central) and Bryan Voltaggio (Volt)
- Vikram Sunderam (Rasika) and Nicholas Stefanelli (Bibiana)
- Ris Lacoste (Ris) and Jamie Leeds (Hank’s Oyster Bar)
- Enzo Fargione (Elisir) and Peter Smith (PS7s)
- Victor Albisu (Taco Bamba) and Amy Brandwein (Chef AmyB)
- Nora Pouillon and Todd Woods (Restaurant Nora) with Haidar Karoum (Estadio/Proof)
- Cedric Maupillier (Mintwood Place) and Devin Bozkaya (Westend Bistro)
Following the main event will be an after-party held at Graffiato Restaurant.
100% of each ticket goes to support marriage equality in Maryland.
For more information and to purchase tickets to both events, please visit chefsforequality.org
The Source by Wolfgang Puck hosted their fifth anniversary noodle dinner last month in which they invited talented chefs across the District to collaborate for a one-night-only dinner. Participating chefs included:
- Chef Kaz Okochi of Kaz Sushi Bistro
- Chef Yesoon and Danny Lee of Mandu
- Chef Erik Bruner-Yang of Toki Underground
- Chef Liu Chaosheng of Mala Tang
- Chef Haidar Karoum of Proof and Estadio
- Chef Scott Drewno and Pastry Chef Duane Copeland of Wolfgang Puck's 'the source'
If you missed the event, here are some photos from the slurplicious dinner:
All Photos by Alicia Griffin
Hiyashi Ramen, Chef Kaz Okochi, Kaz Sushi Bistro
Bibim Guksoo, Chef Yesoon and Danny Lee, Mandu
Noum Pachouk, Chef Erik Bruner-Yang, Toki Underground
Dan Dan Noodles, Chef Liu Chaosheng, Mala Tang
Khao Soi Noodles, Chef Haidar Karoum, Proof and Estadio
Drunken Duck, Chef Scott Drewno, Wolfgang Puck's 'the source'
Apple Custard Tart, Pastry Chef Duane Copeland, Wolfgang Puck's 'the source'
Still hungering for more? You can view the rest of the photos here.
The Crystal City Diamond Derby, a unique cycling event with various races in an underground parking garage, is happening this Saturday!
For those who are attending, participants or spectators, there is sure to be some great food to grub on.
Huong Nguyen and Tuan Trau, future food vendors for Maketto, will be at the event serving:
- Shrimp and Chicken Egg Rolls
- Honey Lemon-Lime Chicken
- Braised Beef Stew
Serving alongside them will be Impala Catina, a new restaurant coming to H Street neighborhood (hopefully to open before the end of the world). Just in case you missed them at the H Street Festival, here's another chance to catch the Impala Cantina Preview. They will be serving:
- Two burritos and two sides for only nine bucks! (Also with vegetarian options).
Crystal City Diamond Derby
September 29, 2012
4pm - 10pm
2345 Crystal Drive